The basic premise of the new rule is the following:
Sole Source Awards
Under the proposed rule, an agency may make a sole source award to a WOSB or EDWOSB where:
- the solicitation's NAICS code is in an industry designated by the SBA as “underrepresented” or “substantially underrepresented” by women;
- the contracting officer expects only one WOSB/EDWOSB will submit an offer;
- the anticipated value of the contract (including options) will not exceed $6.5M for a manufacturing contract or $4M for any other contract;
- the contracting officer believes that the award can be made at a fair and reasonable price; and
- the contracting officer finds that the proposed awardee is a responsible contractor.
- If the requirement is valued at or below the simplified acquisition threshold, the contracting officer may set aside the requirement or award the requirement on a sole source basis.